Tuesday, February 03, 2009

(s)nowhere

Yesterday, the UK received the largest amount of snow in nearly two decades.

Even from my Western Canadian perspective, the amount of snow fallen wasn't a lot but, nevertheless, the snow made everything beautiful and peaceful and almost perfect.

However, I should have taken my painful spill on the icy road coming out of the gym after an early morning workout as a sign but I chalked it up to me being the usual klutz that I am. The snow seemed to make everyone happy: snapping photos, flinging snowballs, and I wanted to get out there to make fresh tracks in the snow. But it wasn't until I got to the train station, the havoc the snow created was evident.

The time table flashed 'Delayed' or 'Cancelled' for most journeys. I contemplated whether to make the trip up north even after receiving a text from a friend advising me to stay at home. But, you see, I really wanted to collect the last of my data to start my analysis. Almost after an hour of arriving to the train station, I boarded the train. I spent a total of 60 minutes in the office before turning around to ensure that I would catch a train and not be stranded in Sheffield for the evening.

Although today seems quite pleasant and clear, I'll be going nowhere, at least by train, until all the snow melts away.

No comments: