Thursday, January 22, 2009

knitting club

I'm not sure when I started to knit. But what I do remember is that my Aunt, an avid knitter herself when I was younger, taught me the basics. She gave me a pair of knitting needles and a small ball of yarn, and showed me how to cast-on and knit and purl. The rest was up to me.


My skills evolved, like any budding knitter's would, from simple scarves and fingerless mitts to a child's sweater. Now here in the UK, my knitting, although still considered to be quite remedial, has flourished. I tote around a small project on my knapsack so I can knit on the train to and from Sheffield. Knitting needles and yarn are always in my hand as I sit on the couch in front of the tv, especially during the winter months. The ladies running the yarn store in town even know me by face. And, most recently, I came across a leaflet advertising Derby's knitting club.

A bunch of ladies meet once a week at Starbucks. (Yes, Derby has a Starbucks! In fact, the city has multiple stores of the Seattle-franchise). We knit or crochet, and chat while having a caffeinated beverage. It's neat to see the flurry of needle action and the array of colours being worked on. I'm starting my first major knitting project -- let's see if it'll be wearable.

1 comment:

Ima Ventriloquist said...

Greetings from Toronto! Thanks so much for sharing your stories! We are toying with the idea of moving to the UK (nothing too serious...yet) so reading your stories is very inspiring! Any tips for a fellow Canadian?

Thanks again and best wishes! :)