Wednesday, September 30, 2009

i must admit

With a blink of an eye, September is just about over.

After living in the UK for nearly 3 years, I’ve started to realize that summer just doesn’t happen in this part of the world. No matter how hopeful I am at the start of every June -- pulling out my summer clothes and sandals out of hibernation -- I’ve come to accept that this country just doesn’t do summer.

I have, however, discovered that this country does do autumn. And, I must admit, it does it very well.


Now, I’ve been told that eastern Canada is known for its large surface area of beautifully coloured leaves this time of year. But I haven’t been there during the autumn months, so my frame of reference may be a little blurred. Nevertheless, the transition between 'summer' and winter is visually stunning here and will be more so as the weeks progress.


My favourite season has always been spring, with the pastel-coloured cherry blossoms and the feeling of freshness. But after living in the UK for some time now, there’s something comforting about being outside in the crisp air, bundled in a scarf, with the changing coloured leaves.

No comments: