Thursday, March 19, 2009

journal club, or also known as baking club

Fortnightly, my husband holds a journal club for his students, where they talk about new findings pertinent to their research topics. Fortunately for me, I get to play an indirect role in this educational process: by baking something homemade for their round table discussion.


I usually make something easy to transport and bite-sized, like muffins, cupcakes, or cookies. At the end of each session, I get reports that they were all very grateful for my contribution which, not surprisingly, delights me to no end. I mean, who doesn't like an appreciative audience?

So being the competitive person that I am, I've been trying to out do myself by making something better than the previous time just so I can receive the accolades. However, I didn't know that I would reach my climax so soon. Over a month ago, I provided a new creation of mine: a granola cookie, filled with sunflower seeds, dried cranberries, oatmeal, and other things you might find in a breakfast cereal. I believe there was a scrummage for the last cookie in the tupperware container and my husband exclaimed that it was "a very tasty cookie, and it even didn't have chocolate in it".

Since that cookie, the boys have been silent for the past couple of journal clubs, which I'm sure is partially has been due to me baking healthier things. But for tomorrow's journal club, I have something up my sleeve: the king of all cookies -- gigantic chocolate chip cookies!

1 comment:

Paul said...

I laughed out loud at this entry. No, it doesn't surprise me in the slightest that you are in a baking competition with yourself! Lucky students!!! :-)